Home‎ > ‎news‎ > ‎

September 12

posted 12 Sept 2011, 13:12 by tony Burden   [ updated 3 Nov 2011, 12:11 ]

Longstone GAC Notes

(Monday, September 12)

ACL I  An Riocht 1-7 Longstone 0-12
Pairc na Riochta was the setting on Saturday afternoon for this mourne ‘relegation affair’. Like their previous league 
encounter back in late April the teams provided drama for the large attendance to the very end of the game. The sides swapped points early in proceedings with An Riocht’s Chris Killen and the visitors Ambrose Rogers getting on the 
scoresheet. By the 10th minute the home team had further points from Paddy Cole and Killen again. The only goal of 
the game arrived midway through the half when An Riocht worked an opportunity for John Clarke and he finished to the corner of the net from close range. A minute later his brother Martin converted a free and it was a six point lead, 1-4 to 0-1, for the Kingdom. The home team were in a good position and they probably could have added to this lead but 
several opportunities were missed during the second quarter. The teams exchanged points towards the end of the half, an Ambrose Rogers free and a fine effort by Martin Clarke from the wing. Then in the space of about a minute in injury time Ambrose Rogers scored two points, including one free, to leave it 1-5 to 0-4 at the break in favour of An Riocht. The second half started well for the home team with John Clarke pointing from play and then gaining a free which was converted by Killen, to put the home team up by six with six minutes of the second period played. Amazingly this 
turned out to be the home team’s last score. A minute later Longstone won a scoreable free and Michael Ireland duly 
converted. Soon afterwards the same player chipped one over from play and in the 12th minute Ryan Kelly reduced 
Longstone’s deficit to three with a good effort from play. The visitors continued to win the majority of possession and 
then in the 16th minute created a goal chance with Mark Poland one on one with Brendan McVeigh, the An Riocht 
goalkeeper, and the latter saved his opponents effort for goal. As the ball rebounded two Longstone players collided 
at speed and the game was held up for about ten minutes which gave spectators a 40+ minute second half. After the 
stoppage Longstone kept up the pressure and their effort levels and also An Riocht had Deaglan O’Reilly sent off with about ten minutes to go. Michael Ireland struck over a free in the 28th minute after good build-up play which was followed three minutes later by a good effort from play by Mark Poland to cut the deficit to the bare minimum. Longstone 
kept up this period of dominance and the equaliser was also scored in the 31st minute by Ireland. An Riocht were 
finding it hard to create any opportunity for a score and the wave of Longstone attacks just kept coming. Ambrose 
Rogers put Longstone in front four minutes into injury time and in the 37th minute Ireland converted another from play 
and from distance to make it 0-12 to 1-7. There were six further minutes of injury time but no more scores. An Riocht 
did stage a late, late rally and had good possession during this time but were unable to get a score. For Longstone 
Ambrose Rogers, Michael Ireland and Michael Hughes led by example, while Liam McVeigh and John Clarke were An Riocht’s most consistent players. This result means that the bottom four of Division I now reads Rostrevor 13 points, 
Longstone 12, Clonduff 10 and An Riocht 9. There are two league games left and any two teams could still drop down to Division II.

An Riocht: Brendan McVeigh, Conor McVeigh, Liam McVeigh, Michael Trainor, Joe McVeigh, Sean Clarke, Deaglan O’Reilly, Martin Clarke 0-2, Paul Murney, Patrick Gartland, Paddy Cole 0-1, James Cunningham, Fergal Doyle, John Clarke 1-1, Chris Killen 0-3. Sub used: Ronan McAlinden.

Longstone: Colin Trainor, Eamonn Quinn, John Magee, Glen Burden,  Michael Hughes, Mark Doran, Cormac Poland, 
Ambrose Rogers 0-5, Conor Poland, Stephen Doran, Barry Doran, Adrian Trainor, Michael Ireland 0-5, Mark Poland 0-1, Ryan Kelly 0-1. Sub used: Barry Kelly.
Referee: Gavin Corrigan.
Longstone reserves were beaten away to Liatroim, 5-9 to 0-5, on Sunday.
The club U-16s were at home to An Riocht in the semi-final of the ‘B’ championship on Sunday. The visitors came 
through in the end on a 3-5 to 0-10 scoreline with the help of a last minute goal. At half-time the Kingdom led by one 
point and Longstone were down two players due to being sent off during the first half. However, during the second 
period, An Riocht’s team number went down to twelve by the end due to three sendings-off, and Longstone pressured the Kingdom defence many times but were unable to convert enough chances to go into the lead. It was a magnificent team performance from all the Longstone players and a brave display against the odds with the team two players down in the first half. The U-16 managers thank all the players for their wholehearted effort in training and games throughout the year and it was a pleasure to work with them in a season during which they always gave their best to achieve a 
good championship run   and runners-up in the league
U-14 South Down ‘C’ Championship Final: Longstone 5-14 Atticall 5-6.  For the second game in a row Longstone 
scored 5-14, and like the semi-final it proved to be good enough to win what was an exciting and well contested game 
in St. Patrick’s Pk., Mayobridge on Saturday. The Stone opened the scoring with an early point but Atticall settled down better and led 1-3 to 0-1 by the 12th minute. However, Longstone rallied and scored 2-1 in the next three minutes, all 
from Joseph Young, to lead 2-2 to 1-3 midway through the half. Longstone pushed on from this position to score a 
further 3 goals and four points to lead 5-6 to 1-3 by the 27th minute. Atticall scored two goals and Longstone two points before the break to leave it 5-8 to 3-3 at the interval. The sides exchanged two points apiece in the first ten minutes of the second period and when Tyrone Poland fisted a good effort over the bar in the 13th minute Longstone led by 
twelve points, 5-11 to 3-5, and appeared to be on their way to the title. But, between the 17th and 20th minutes of the 
half Atticall grabbed 2-1 to reduce the deficit to five and we looked set for a grandstand finish. And around this time the rain started and it lashed for the last ten minutes to slow down the tempo of the game. There were no further scores 
until the last three minutes when Longstone scored three points in a row, including two from Tiarnan Fegan, to make 
sure of the championship title. Overall, it was a great Longstone performance and the team was: Owen Haughian, 
Ronan Harrison, Tony Young, Andrew McVeigh, Finn McElroy-Banjo, Darren Fitzpatrick 0-1, Sean Mullan, 
Aidan Rogers 0-1, Dean Haughian, Conor Shields, Tyrone Poland 1-5, Matthew McAstocker, Joseph Young 2-2, 
Tiarnan Fegan 1-4, Jordan Doran 1-1, Saran McElroy-Banjo, Callum McDowell and Daithi Rogan. Well done to the players and the management team of Michael Haughian, Joseph Fegan and Fergal Young, and to the large band of 
supporters there for cheering the team on throughout the game.
Mark Poland received the Spirit of Breen Morgan Award from Club Down at their Members Night last Saturday due to his impressive performances this year for Down. Well done Mark.
Longstone will compete in the 39th Kilmacud Crokes All Ireland Football 7s this Saturday. Longstone are in Group 5 
along with Parnells (Dublin), Castleisland Desmonds (Kerry) and Derrygonnelly (Fermanagh) and these group games will be played at the Silverpark venue, starting at 11am.
U-8 football practice this Saturday at 3.30pm in Longstone.
Mourne Comhaltas resumes in Longstone Hall next Monday evening. All former and new members are invited to 
register for classes in Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Tin Whistle and Flute. If there is demand, classes for 
beginner Button Accordion and Bodhran, may be held. Classes will be held from 7.15-8pm on Monday nights. If 
interested in an adult beginner tin whistle class please contact Hugh Cox on 4376  7206. If anyone would like to help 
out on the Mourne Comhaltas Committee please come along also.